Tuesday, July 16, 2019

To My Heros -By Kim Albert



A letter from our Director:

To My Heros:

I am not much for talking in front of people, especially about things I feel strongly.  So here is the speech I couldn’t give.  I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to work with the TFC team, the children but most of all you, the families.  In these times of turmoil in a country so divisive and divided, you give me hope.  As a stood at the dinner and looked around, I saw the most extraordinary people who have each done some extraordinary things this year.  Two of our children aged out and continue to consider their TFC family, their forever family. Those parents continue to support and advocate for them as they transition to adulthood.  Four of our children were facing a transition to family members they had never met in states far from here, more than that they were facing disruption to all the progress they had made with and because of their TFC families.  In the face of this outcome, two of our families said no, we will keep them as our own and took guardianship,  making a lifelong commitment to those children.  Three families opened their homes to children who were struggling in their placements which kept them in our program and gave them continuity.  One child needed more intensive services and supports than our program could provide.  Her TFC family has visited and kept in contact with them. Another family who had only every provided respite for this child and has a more suitable home situation has stepped up to become another support and potential placement after treatment, another child who wasn’t lost or forgotten when their needs rose and who knows they have value to those who have cared for them.  We accepted our first medically fragile child and her TFC mother has slayed dragons and insurance paperwork to get her the medical care and equipment she needs and has done so without the supports she  needs.  The school marvels at how much progress has been made in this child, from appearance to behavior.  

The acuity of children coming into Treatment Foster Care is rising and several families have faced behavioral crises of children that were unlike anything they had dealt with before. Every time they faced it with compassion for the child.  Their fellow TFC families stepped up when needed and provided respite to these children knowing what they could face. We took children from other counties further away then we are use to and the TFC family and Social Workers did what it took to support these children to maintain contact and connection with their bio parents. We have 5 families who are considering or preparing for the adoption or guardianship of children in their care, again making a lifelong commitment to care and provide for these children. One family whose TFC child was reunited with family and had his final court date, sent a letter sharing his joy and appreciation for all his TFC family did for him and for helping him find God, who he now says guides and supports him every day.  I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt every child in your home has improved and grown under the love, care and direction you have provided. You make my heart swell with gratitude and admiration.  I am truly humbled by what you do everyday to make this world and a child’s life better. 

Personally, I am grateful for the grace you have all shown me as I learn and make mistakes in this new role.  I hope you know, despite the Interim in my title, I am dedicated to the service and support of you and this program.  I would be remiss if I didn’t say,  none of this would be possible without the TFC Team.  Monique, who keeps us all straight and on track, plans trainings and events.  Karen, who sings your praises and is always out their looking for new families to support you and our children.  Briana, Nanette and Christanna have been a blessing to me in learning and growing in this role.  From what you have shared with me, I know each of you appreciates and value all that they do everyday for you and the children in our care. I value their dedication and commitment to you, the children and The Arc and their desire to always find new and effective ways to support everyone.  From the bottom of my heart, I thank each of them and each of you.  A dinner is the smallest of tokens to express my appreciation.

Please know you are all my heros!  Gratefully – Kim Albert

No comments:

Post a Comment